Ah banana ice cream, does life get any sweeter? Whoever knew that freezing and blending bananas together would produce the most awesome creamy vegan ice cream? Who knew! Well some genius out there decided to give it a bash, and the results. Amazing. Now that summer is here we have the perfect excuse to make as much vegan ice cream as we please. It is the perfect summer dessert.
I added soaked cashew nuts to this recipe for extra creaminess. If you want the quick version you can also blend frozen bananas together with coconut oil and honey and serve immediately. It is also delicious.
This dessert is simple to whip together and looks pretty spectacular dished up. It would be lovely served at a Sunday lunch with some freshly chopped strawberries – Yum! I folded cacao nibs into this mix for some added crunch and chocolaty goodness. In terms of what goodies you choose to fold into this ice cream, anything goes.
Experiment with different flavours and textures by folding other exciting ingredients into your ice cream such as goji berries, cinnamon, chopped nuts and fresh or dried fruit. You can really have fun throwing together some exciting combinations based on what you have lying around your kitchen.
A Note on Bananas:
Bananas are the fruits of the gods when it comes to vegan and vegetarian cuisine. They are easy to obtain and are so versatile. Bananas have the ability to simulate eggs in vegan baking, imitate creamy dairy and act as a natural sweetener. Sold yet? They are also famous for their high potassium content making them an excellent post workout snack. Potassium is crucial to heart function and plays a key role in skeletal and smooth muscle contraction, making it important for normal digestive and muscular function.
1 C cashew nuts (soaked for 4 hours or overnight)
¼ C water
5 bananas, frozen (freeze for up to at least 4 hours)
1/3 C honey
1 T coconut oil
1 T lemon juice
1 t cardamom
1 pinch unrefined salt
½ C cacao nibs
Tip: I tried using brazil nuts the first time around, but my ice cream came out a muddy colour. Go with a white nut if you want that lovely creamy look.
- Cover the cashew nuts in water and soak overnight. Chop and freeze the bananas overnight.
- Rinse the cashews and blend with ½ cup of fresh spring water until smooth and creamy. Add the honey, coconut oil, lemon juice, and cardamom to the mix and blend again.
- Take the bananas out of the freezer and leave for 10 minutes to soften. Add the bananas to the nut mixture and blend together until smooth and creamy.
- Fold the cacao nibs into the ice cream.
- Freeze for up to 4 hours until firm.
- When you are ready to serve, take the ice cream out of the freezer and give it 10 minutes to soften. Use an ice ream scoop to roll out some ice cream balls.
Note: Before serving chill a bowl, spoon and your ice cream scooper in the freezer for the same amount of time as it takes the ice cream to soften slightly. This will prevent the ice cream balls from melting, and if you are serving to guests it looks extra impressive <3