I adapted this recipe from a loaf that originally included both eggs and cheese. The new and improved high vibrational loaf is completely animal product free. Deliciously tasty, with the perfect mouthwatering texture. Raising the vibration of food without sacrificing on taste, well that is what this blog is all about.
When I was at school I always looked forward to my lunch break, because my mum made the most delicious rye bread sandwiches for me. In fact, she was under strict instructions never to deviate from my favourite combination of mozzarella cheese and peppadew sauce, despite her incessant protests. She would complain that my nutritional intake was not sufficient because I insisted on eating the same three ingredients every day. Wise woman that she was, her words stuck with me and have had a massive impact on my outlook as well as my relationship to food today.
I love making bread. When I found out I was gluten intolerant the thing I was most sad to lose was sandwiches. I love the simplicity of slathering a healthy topping onto a slice of bread. I was super happy when I started discovering healthy alternatives like spelt bread and home made bread recipes that did not affect me nearly as negatively.
This recipe is really great to whip up before friends come over for an easy lunch spread. It is so simple to whip up, and everybody delights in eating home made bread. Add a couple of dips, freshly made or store bought, and some fresh home grown sprouts and you are good to go.
Nutritional yeast is made from a single-celled organism called Saccharomyces cerevisiae. nutritional yeast is from cane or beet molasses, fermented, then deactivated with heat to stop the growing process. Because it has been deactivated, it won’t cause anything to rise which means that you don’t have to worry about any uncomfortable bloating. The natural colour of nutritional yeast is yellow/gold and its flavor is often referred to as cheesy making it a delicious substitute for dairy products. Enjoy nutritional yeast in dips, spreads, soups, salads, and even on popcorn!
Want to learn more about spelt flour? Check out my magical spelt flour cupcakes. Spelt is such a great flour to bake with and I highly recommend giving it a try.
1 ½ cups whole spelt flour
2 cups grated courgettes
½ cup mixed seeds (I like flax, pumpkin, and sunflower)
1 ½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
½ tsp bicarbonate (baking soda)
½ lemon, juiced
3 Tbs flax seeds, ground
3 garlic cloves
½ cup coconut (or healthy oil of your choice)
½ cup nut milk (I like almond) + 3 Tbs
Note: The courgettes can be replaced by just about any greated veggie, so use your imagination and have some fun.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients into a bowl: flour, courgettes, mixed seeds, turmeric, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, bicarb of soda and flaxseeds.
- In a separate bowl mix the nut milk with the oil and lemon juice. If you melt the coconut oil be careful when you mix the two together as the nut milk can turn the coconut oil hard again and make it more difficult to mix.
- Mix the wet and the dry ingredients together until a stiff dough ball has formed. You might need to add an extra 1-3 tablespoons of nut milk to be able to coat all of the ingredients, but you are definitely aiming for a stiffer mix over a wet mix.
- Place your dough into a bread tin, pushing the mix into all four corners. Sprinkle extra pumpkin seeds over the top.
- Place your loaf into the oven and cook for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow extra cooling time.
- Remove from the bread loaf tin, cut into slices and serve with delicious cashew sour cream.
This bread loaf tastes deliciously good accompanied by the sour cashew sauce below. Just sayin. This sour cashew sauce has been adapted from the Hempini sauce in the Soaring Free Superfoods most recent recipe book.
1 cup cashews
¾ – 1 cup warm water
1 lemon, juiced
¾ tsp salt
1-3 garlic cloves
1 tsp mixed herbs
3 Tbs olive oil
Place everything into a blender and blend until extra smooth and creamy.